Monday, December 14, 2009

Tinman / Taupo Half Ironman Report ( A little late )

Yes I've been a bit slack / lazy / busy lately & haven't got around to writing a Race Report on Tinman.

Well here is what I remember...

After weeks of crap weather the Sunday morning dawned fine & little wind. Yeehah.

The swim.
This went really well & although most people say it was short I was happy with 21:26 & 89th out of the water. Up into T1 & I just took my time & made sure I was ready for the ride & remembering I just needed to finish. 2:58 later & I was off on the bike.

The bike.
As one would have expected this leg went very well. My biggest challenge here was not to push to hard & kill my poor legs for the run. I had a good ride & finished with a time of 1:10:26. Fairly happy with that time & I felt like I hadn't destroyed my legs. A leisurely T2 2:40, & I was ready for the run ( hopefully a run )

The run.
Now as we all know this was going to be a challenge. I haven't run since Mid August & had no idea if I could get round 10km without walking. All I can say is the theory of lots of cycling will help the running is what I hoped for. I felt good going down the 1st km so hoped it was going to stay that way. By the time I hit the base track of Mount Maunganui I was starting to feel a bit sore but it was there that I overtook a local bike shop owner which gave me a boost & from there on I was not going to let pass me so that stopped me from even thinking about walking any part of the run. Yes the base track hurt but I was enjoying the beautiful weather & scenery which certainly made it more enjoyable. Off the base track & down the last km to the finish there was nothing left & you didn't see any sprint finish coming from my poor legs. I was very happy with a time of 50:47 for the run.

Overall time of 2:28:17. I was stoked to go sub 2:30 & very happy just to get round in one piece.

Was good to be a part of the Triathlon Tauranga Team which once again won the Club Challenge.

Now this race was out of the way I had a week to try & get some very sore legs up & ready for the 90km bike leg of the Pearl Izumi Taupo Half Ironman. I was doing this race with my wife. She was to do the swim & run legs. The race was to have some added spice as we were having a race of the families with another couple from Tauranga.

Having never done or even been to watch the Taupo 1/2 this was to be a new experiebce for the both of us.

Now race morning dawned grey & overcast & a wind blowing already. The atmosphere was great but without all the hype of Tauranga. The swim start was great & Kathy got bashed up a little but exited with a 35:59. Now it was my turn to crank out a quick 90km on the bike. Heading past the Motor Race course the wind was fair honking & it was also raining. Had a great leg out to Reporoa. The ride back towards Taupo, I decided it was time to work a little harder & catch some people up ahead of me. By the time we were about 15km to go & starting the climb I was feeling real strong & started to drop / catch people regularly. Up & over the top I put the hammer down & fair smoked on into transition with a time of 2:45:46 which I was very happy with. ( all I need now is a TT bike & hopefully go a little faster ).

Passed the transponder to Kathy & let her do the rest. Yes we did beat our friends by about 4 mins so that was something to be pleased about. Nothing like a little rivalry to keep the fire burning.

Now that those 3 weeks are over it's time just to chill for a while & let the legs have a wee rest. No I'm not saying I'll do nothing, just smaller shorter rides & start doing a little bit of running.

So the plan for the rest of the year is to go watch the Rotorua 1/2 Ironman this weekend & be a supporter for my blogger friends. Then chill for Xmas with the family, do Surfbreaker @ the Mount on the 28th, then chill some more for New Years.

For everyone racing this weekend go hard do your best.

No comments:

Post a Comment