Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Wattyl Lake Taupo Cycle Challenge

Well some many months ago I thought I might do the 320km Enduro race.

My reasoning behind this was to start training for Ironman Western Australia & to make the 180km ride feel short. I then put this idea to one side as I thought I didn't really have enough time to train for it. That was till a good friend I worked with in Auckland talked me back into doing it & as we all know that was the beginning of some BIG training rides.

Well I'm pleased to now write a Race report of the big Day / Night/ Morning.

It all started Friday morning in Tauranga by dropping the kids to school, grocery shopping then heading down to Taupo about 11:00am. Made ourselves at home in the rented house then went off to register. That done it was a quick stop in the Orca shop & back home for an afternoon nap. Got a couple of hours in then woke up & chatted with the rest of the people I was staying with. Got back to bed about 9pm then slept till midnight.

Saturday 28th November.

Awoke at midnight & ate some spag on toast, got changed then got on my bike & headed down to the start line to find my friend & support crew. The organisers had done the roll call by 1:15am & just waiting for a few late ones & we would be off at 1:30am for the 320km Enduro race.

Now after the initial excitement & racing on up the hill out of Taupo we settled down & a group of about 12 formed. We rode like this for about 20km then ended up dropping a few & picking up a few, finally ending up with a bunch of 8. We had 3 support vehicles with us & we were making some great progress. Having never ridin on the road at night this was all very exciting & I was really enjoying the thrill of going down hills at 50+km/hr in the darkness. The bunch worked really together & we chatted throughout the night. By early light we were down the south end of the lake & climbing Kuratau Hill. We just rode steady & made sure we all made it to the top together & formed back up on the Tokaanu Flats. We lost 1 rider here to a mechanical but the rest got into single file & started to crank it up along the shores of Lake Taupo.

We got to the bottom of hatepe Hill altogether but going up I opened a 200m gap ( unintentionally ) which enabled me to stop for a nature break. We charged on into Taupo & into the Caltex station to sign in. I quickly got changed out of my warmer long pants / top & into other cycling kit & after about 8 mins was ready to get back out on the road all stocked up with food & perpetum. A big thanks here to my wife & her 2 friends Jodi & Yvette. A quick photo with my mate Dave who unfortunately due to a family situation could only do the 1st lap with me.

I headed out & 2 others were coming out also so we rode back out together & joined up with the mad rush of the 160km starters. The bunches coming through were the 4:30 seeded riders so a little to fast for us. After about 3 km's of riding with 1 of the others I said bye & headed of alone to try & hang with some of the bunches coming through. This I did manage & so long as I was looking after the heartrate I sat in the bunches I got a free ride. Yes the smallest hill would throw me out the back but I would just keep trucking & the next bunch was never far away. I did end up in a bunch which of about 600-800 people which was amazing. I had great fun & I was encouraged by alot of people along the way. Finally got back round to Kuratau again & got left behind by most people. Once again down onto the Tokaanu Flats & got myself into a bunch which would stay together for the next 40 odd km till reaching Hatepe Hill.

Now this probably had to be my worst fear of the entire race. Could I get back up it a 2ND time. Very much to my surprise I not only rode it quite easy the 2nd time but I smoked heaps of 1 lappers & with the crowds yelling support for me near the top I got to the top with ease. Now time to get to Taupo & that finish line.

I did promise to ring the wife just so she could get to the line in time to see me as she had been out training so I jumped off at 5 Mile Bay & had a nature stop & madea the phone call. Quickly back on the bike & up the slight rise to the Airport. I once again surprised myself by overtaking people, so once on the flat I put the hammer down & 3 others came with me. I now had a goal of finishing with a ride time of less than 11 hrs. We were flying along & knew I was going to make it barring a mechanical so coming into the last few 100m I sat up & made sure no-one was around to steal my moment of glory when I crossed the finish line. Yes I made it in under 11hrs ride time & an offical time of 11:10:48 with which I was stoked.

Now I have been told I don't look excited in some photos we have, but I think I'm just reflecting on what I had just done & a little tired.

Now the goal of making training for 180km for Ironman have been achieved I think. I now look at 90km as a small ride which you can go out hard for.

See you all at Tinman. I'll be the one who can't run.

1 comment:

  1. Now that's the race report I was waiting for. Well done! You make it sound easy. Maybe four times round next year?

    ReplyDelete