Monday, June 1, 2009

Mount Joggers 10km Run

The 23rd running of the Mount Joggers 1/2 Marathon, 10km & 5km fun run was held Sunday 31st May. The day dawned crisp & sunny. What better way to spend a Sunday morning than with the family all doing an event together.

The kids & Kathy were doing the 5km fun run together & I was out to give the 10km run a good nudge & hopefully a PB.

With a nice start time of 9:40am it was game on. The course takes you down the main beach of Mount Maunganui then turns back on itself & then around into Pilot Bay & then heads onto the Mount base track in a clockwise direction finishing at the surf club. From the start I managed to sit in about the top 30 in the race & that's where I stayed for the entire race. Now one of my goals was to catch the rest of the family who started 10 minutes after me & were also having to go around the Mount in their 5km run. I caught 2 of them where I thought I'd catch them but 1 of the kids was not to be seen. I found him within 100m of the finish ( a good couple of minutes ahead of the others ). Goal 1 complete.

2nd goal was obviosly to run faaaast & get a PB. I felt like I went out a bit to hard but you do that in a race so now it was just a case of keeping it up. The on road parts felt fine but did stuggle on the last hill around the Mount. Happy to say I achieved my goal with a 45:15 minute run.

Now for the last part of the morning & the most exciting bit for the kids. To see if they could win a spot prize !!!!!! Even with all the redraws that happened we still got nothing but the kids were still happy.

Lazy afternoon then finshed the day off with swim squad. A good 2000m swim in which the kicking drills did hurt.

It's now time to ramp up the cycling miles & just keep the running ticking over.

2 comments:

  1. Nice work mate. Gotta be happy with a time like that for 10km. I'd be bloody stoked! See you Sunday at swimming.

    ReplyDelete