Sunday, August 16, 2009

Great day..... but Ouch !!!!




I'll start with a quick update on this weeks training. My running has been a little slack over the last few months so I thought I should start increasing my long run. So this week I did if only by 1.3km, to a huge distance of 6.3km. I had a good windtrainer session & hit the gym twice & a good solid swim. All things going good !!

Then along came Saturday & the Waikato Draught Tough Guy & Gal. I ended up going to the event alone as our friends had a funeral to attend & as it was hiffin it down with rain, Kathy decided to stay home & study. For those that don't know this event is a 6km or 12km run through mud, swamps, bush, over slippery farmland & taking in some manmade obstacles. I opted out of the 12km & just did the 6km. I thought 45 - 50 mins in the rain would be enough.



11.10am & off we went. I had alot of fun & it was a great to be finished. Through the finish chute & collect your cold Waikato then off to the water truck to get blasted. Then down to the not so hot showers changed & ready for prizegiving. Now don't worry about being last at this event as there were people finishing after 3hrs.

Now what did happen during the race was as I jumped down from one of the climbing obstacles, I felt some pain in my right ankle. I think the fact that you have your shoes taped on it gave my ankle some support & I was able to carry on without any difficulties. That started much later.

A quick drive home, shower then off to Kathy's dads for dinner & a beer & that's where it all started to turn to custard. My right ankle just started to lock up with immense pain. I started to get the shakes & we needed to get home. I could barely get out to the car.

Once home I iced it & had some drugs & hit the sack, a little pissed off that there would probably be no training for me for a little while.

Well 24 hrs later I can atleast walk on the ankle but still sore. Might be a trip to the physio come Monday. Hopefully will be back into it soon & back on the bike especially. Running can wait till later.

1 comment: