Thursday, August 6, 2009

I think Spring is in the air

The days are getting longer, warmer & the blooms are coming out. This has to all bode well for training. It's so much more enjoyable running in the mornings with no ice & cycling without the thought of black ice around the next corner.

This week has seen me get back into training after having a week off. I have taken it easy & just got back into it slowly.

Now the latest on the Taupo Cycle Challenge is that I've been asked to reconsider doing the 320km Enduro. My old work mate from Akld & fellow triathlete is keen to give it a crack & thinks it would be more enjoyable to ride at Taupo with someone else. Remember that the 320km race starts at 1am, so riding round the back road by yourself could be very lonely. Yes you do have a support crew but you can't talk to them. So the next steps from here are to get up to 150km by September 5th & assess how we are both going.

If it's the go ahead then I'll have to put some serious k's in. I might have to team up with Mike Kelly who's training for Kona & hang on his wheel. The plan will be to build up to 2 rides of 250km. So this week I have spent some more time on Google Maps looking at potential rides I could do. These rides would take in places like Tokoroa, Putaruru, Rotorua, Kawerau, Whakatane & maybe even Taupo. The last thing I want to do is get bored riding round & round Tauranga. I may even take a ride to Auckland.

Obviously as a result of this I won't get alot of time for running, but I feel that so long as I keep doing 1 10km run a week then I'll be able to stuggle my way thru the 1/2 IM in Rotorua. It won't be fast or pretty but just a steady IM pace. Remember this is all part of the big picture some months away in Perth.

The family are heading to Auckland this weekend & yes Saturday afternoon I'm planning on riding from West Harbour, thru Albany to Dairy Flat, then over to Helensville & back down to West Harbour. Should be a good 90km ride.

So things should go well & we'll be signing up for 320km. Sounds scary but a great challenge. People have asked me why???? My answer is that it's there to be done. I've done the 1 lap race once. Yes I could go back & get a better time, but that just means getting in a faster bunch & hanging in there. I want a challenge!!!!!

So I think I have now talked myself into doing 320km.

BRING IT ON !!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Pity you're too fast for us! Well, for me! We're doing 3 hrs on either Sat or Sun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what time you thinking of starting? Kate's got a bike fit (in Manurewa) at 12:30, but we might be able to join you later?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not going to be very fast if I'm riding.......

    David.

    ReplyDelete